About the Communities Competition
As an Adult Literacy XPRIZE grand prize winner, we’re very excited to be participating in the Communities Competition. Phase 1 of the Communities Competition has concluded, with teams being selected to participate in Phase 2. In Phase 2, these teams will compete to see who can recruit the most people to download and use the available Communities Competition apps. Three winners will share a $500,000 prize.
As a participating member of a Phase 2 Communities Competition team, your learners will have free access to the Learning Upgrade App. All your learners need to do is self enroll using your 4 digit XPRIZE Communities Competition team code.
Communities Competition Rules
- Open enrollment for the Communities Competition begins on April 1, 2019, and closes on August 31, 2019.
- Learners can enroll, log in, and contribute during the open enrollment period.
- To count for credit for your Communities Competition team, a learner must log-in three times using an Android Phone. Each of the three logins must be on a different day.
- After August 31, 2019, learners on Android phones that created accounts during the open enrollment period will have access to Learning Upgrade lessons through August 31, 2020.
- Although the XPRIZE Communities Competition open enrollment is for Android phones only, we are also making our app available to your learners with iOS (Apple) devices as well. These iOS learners will not count as active students on your XPRIZE Communities Competition team.
- We will also be providing access to our math courses. This means your learners will have access to 21 courses with 960+ lessons. Learn more about Learning Upgrade Courses.
Enrollment Guide For Teams (Without Tracking)
In this section, we’re going to cover how to enroll learners into your XPRIZE Communities Competition team. By default, this enrollment provides no ability for you to track or monitor the progress of your group of learners. If you would like the ability to track, monitor, and view reports for the learners at your site, skip down to the ‘Enrolling Learners With Tracking’ section below. To continue without tracking, follow these steps:
- To begin enrolling learners during the XPRIZE Communities Competition open enrollment period, you will need a 4 digit team code.
- When you receive your XPRIZE Communities Competition code, you can add it to our Self Enrollment Guide.
- Once you have added your XPRIZE Communities Competition code to our guide, you can print or email the Self Enrollment Guide to all learners.
- Learners can now download the Learning Upgrade App for Android and Apple iOS devices and follow the ‘getting started’ instructions for self enrollment.
- The entire self enrollment process can be completed in a few minutes.
- The key to success in the XPRIZE Communities Competition will be fast deployment. Try to plan an ‘on-boarding party’ where all learners self enroll, create an account, and complete their first lesson during the first session.
- We also have an online Student Self Enrollment Guide post for your learners.
Enrolling Learners With Tracking
- If you would like to track the progress of your learners using Learning Upgrade for the XPRIZE Communities Competition, you will need to fill out our request form.
- To complete this form, you will need to provide your 4-digit XPRIZE Communities Competition code, and the name of the team that issued the code.
- Once we receive and process your tracking request submission, we will follow up with a tracking pilot email.
- This email will contain a login account to track your learners, a self enrollment sheet for your learners to enroll, and all of the instructions needed for a fast deployment.
- Your Android learner activity will still count towards the success of your XPRIZE Communities Competition team, and you will be able to track their progress as individuals and as a group.
- Learn more about our Formative Assessment Reports.
Enrollment Guide for Students
- Before self enrolling on the Learning Upgrade App, you will need to locate a 4 digit XPRIZE code and/or your student self enrollment PDF guide.
- The 4 digit code will be required to complete Step 3 listed below.
- You must enroll with your XPRIZE code during the open enrollment period of April 1, 2019 to August 31, 2019.
- For your activity to count for your Communities Competition team, you must log-in three times using an Android phone. Each of the three logins must be on a different day.
- After August 31, 2019, student accounts on Android phones created accounts during the open enrollment period will have access to Learning Upgrade lessons through August 31, 2020.
- Although the XPRIZE Communities Competition open enrollment is for Android phones only, we are also making our app available to learners with iOS (Apple) devices as well. Apple iOS activity will not count as activity for your XPRIZE Communities Competition team.
- With your XPRIZE Communities Competition account, you will have access to 21 courses with 960+ lessons. You can learn more about Learning Upgrade Courses on our Coures Page.
- Once you have your XPRIZE Communities Competition code, you can follow the fours steps below to self enroll.
Student Enrollment Video Tutorial
4 Step Student Self Enrollment Guide
- The first step to enrolling as a student is to download the Learning Upgrade App on a smartphone or tablet. You can also self enroll using a web browser. Only lessons completed on Android smartphones will count for the XPRIZE Communities Competition.
- You can download the app on the Apple App Store or Android Google Play Store. You can also self enroll using a non-mobile browser.
- Once you launch the Learning Upgrade App, click the orange ‘Get Started‘ button.
- After clicking ‘Get Started‘, you will need to select a course. You can choose the math or English track, and then select a specific course or a placement assessment.
- After selecting a course, you need to enter your First Name and Last Name.
- You can enter a School ID# if you have one, a Phone #, or an Email address, but these fields are not required.
- In the Class Code field, you will enter the 4 digit XPRIZE Communities Competition code listed on your self enrollment guide page.
- After clicking the ‘GO‘ button, your User Name, Password, and School ID will show on the screen. Make sure to write this down or screen-grab it.
- After you have created your account, you will see your courses page. Your active course will be colored in with yellow, and your inactive courses will be colored in with grey.
- You can click on any course icon to add additional courses to your account.
- To being playing on your Learning Upgrade account, you can click on an active course.
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about enrolling your learners for the Adult Literacy XPRIZE Communities Competition, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.